Swim Deep/ Splashh (and Spector...)

There's something inanely irritating about someone proclaiming 'I'm just here to see the support band...', shrugging leather-clad shoulders whilst sipping on a Red Stripe. I'll be the first one to admit that yes, this was me last Thursday at The Leadmill. I couldn't care less about the headline band Spector, a middle of the road guitar bands with 80s-throwback vocals and a lead singer whose glasses are NOT FUNNY TAKE THEM OFF. But I couldn't wait for Splashh and Swim Deep, two bands who've recently been propelled into the spotlight by the music press. 

I've been looking forward to catching Swim Deep for ages, and they definitely didn't disappoint. My playcount for their dreamy track 'Honey' has gone up by about 200 hits since. Often lumped in with fellow B-Town brethren Peace (which is not necessarily a bad thing), Swim Deep have created a batch of swoony indie-pop songs. Tropical melodies and wistful vocals shimmer over laid-back drums, little moments of hazy summer nights. They've just announced a headline tour for Spring and I'm already itching to see them again.



I've heard nothing but good things about Splashh. Having only formed about 5 months ago, their body of work and stage prescence is impressive. Effortlessly taking influence from everything that was great about 90s scuzz-pop (Nirvana T Shirts notwithstanding) and managing to not sound like a Dinosaur Jr tribute band. They're confident but not arrogant, a great trait for a new band, and not bad too look at either which is always a bonus...



By the time Spector came on I'd pretty much had my fill and was ready to leave. Then this happened: a woman proposed to her terrifyied looking boyfriend on stage, before the band launched into arguably their biggest hit, 'Chevy Thunder'. Slightly cheesy (and definitely cringe-making) but memorable at least (which is more than I can say for the band!

We ended the night at an afterparty in The Great Gatsby, where all three bands came to DJ and played a combo of late nighties house classics and early noughties R&B, which went down a treat.

November 18th 2012 @ The Leadmill, Sheffield.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter

Instagram