The Mud Crab Diner, Ecclesall Road

I ventured into The Mud Crab Diner to meet friends, on their recommendation. After passing it on several occasions, it always seemed like one of those places where people who don't eat meat aren't really catered for, and I'd never considered going there to eat. It was probably the big letters saying 'BURGERS' and the manly-looking motorcycles which gave me this impression. I was sceptical to say the least, and after perusing the menu online I was even more disheartened as there didn't seem to be any veggie dishes on there at all! We rang ahead and they said they'd 'see what they could do', and I resigned myself to a side salad or a plate of chips.

However, upon arrival I was greeted by an enthusiastic waitress (who even knew my name!), who produced a vegetarian menu and pointed out everything which was vegan or could be adapted. I was torn between a falafel and hummus wrap, a veggie cottage pie (which was highly recommended by our waitress!) and a falafel burger. There were a couple of vegan starters too, but as I was on a budget I decided to skip the appetiser and get straight to the burger!

The falafel were delicious, slightly fragrant and lemony, and were light and fluffy (almost like pakora) rather than deep-fried and stodgy). The addition of whole chickpeas gave them a great texture. The burger came with crispy fried onions and a tangy curried sauce  and a mammoth portion of chips. Overall I really enjoyed it (and cleared my plate!), and my only criticism would be that a bit of lettuce or tomato in the bun wouldn't have gone amiss! Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable  and made sure I knew exactly what was in my food.

The Mud Crab also do a huge range of unusual desserts (my friends chose homemade Oreos with peanut butter milk!), and there is also a bar where you can grab a cocktail. The restaurant is light and spacious, and vintage knick-knacks are dotted around, giving a modern take on the classic American diner. The price is reasonable (my meal plus wine came to around £15) and the portions are generous. I really think they should advertise their vegetarian menu more, as I would never have chosen to eat there looking at their regular one and I would have missed out on some great food!

Mud Crab Diner, 521-523 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter

Instagram