Global Tribe Cafe, Leeds

This week I visited a very cold, windy Leeds to attend a couple of job interviews. Leeds is one of those places I only seem to see when I'm passing through on my way to somewhere else, which is a shame as it really is a great city. Last time I visited properly was over a year ago, for a (slightly hungover) shopping trip followed by a Nandos.
Veggie sausagemeat and vegan garlic mayo
on granary bread £3.45
This time I wanted to branch out a bit more so I did some research online to see if I could find some cool vegetarian cafes. I’m always researching new places to eat when travelling, as houmous wraps and plain jacket potatoes aren’t very inspiring. Perhaps if I’d done more research on my interviews rather than what I was having for lunch I’d have been a bit more successful, but who knows...

I came across this post from fatgayvegan which led me to the Global Tribe Cafe. It looked cosy and friendly, which was exactly what I wanted after a morning of gruelling Apprentice-style tasks and trick questions  (I actually used one of the tasks, a ’60 Second Pitch’ to talk about the benefits of vegetarianism, hopefully it got people thinking!)  I walked past the cafe twice whilst looking for it, partly because iPhone maps was refusing to cooperate and partly because Global Tribe Cafe is situated up a short staircase behind a tiny purple door above a crystal healing shop (also called the Global Tribe Shop). I’m glad I persevered as lunch was AMAZING. There were two friends upstairs having lunch and an older lady reading a newspaper. Despite feeling a bit over-dressed wearing a pencil skirt and heels, the chilled, welcoming atmosphere soon drew me in.
After perusing the menu I opted for a garlic sausage sandwich, which was handmade from scratch in front of me by a lovely waitress. She also brought over a huge carafe of water which I appreciated in my flustered post-interview exhaustion. The cafe has a sort of open-plan layout so you can see the food being made in the kitchen. The sandwich wasn’t exactly what I expected but was delicious nonetheless; fake ‘ham’ sausage with lashings of garlicky dairy-free mayo, soya butter and a generous amount of salad. The slices granary bread was soft and fresh, not to mention huge! There was also a colourful side salad with bean shoots and dressing, which I polished off as well. I was torn between this and the vegan ‘cheese’ and onion sandwich, as it’s quite rare to find fake cheese in cafes (although the Sheffield branch of Holland and Barrett quite often has a good selection). It was so good I was almost tempted to go back the next day when I had to take a trip up to Harrogate via Leeds!

Vegan hazelnut Bundt Cake £3.00
As I left I eyed up the selection of cakes made by That Old Chestnut (who supply vegan cakes and catering throughout Leeds and West Yorkshire), which were on a counter by the till, and although I was stuffed AND supposed to be watching my weight (as ever) I couldn’t resist. I took a mammoth slice of hazelnut Bundt cake to go, and ate it on the train after I couldn’t wait to get home! The cake was perfect; not too dry but moist without the grease which sometimes comes with vegan substitutes. There was a thin layer of icing on the top which reminded me of lebechuken biscuits, and the chocolately inner tasted EXACTLY like Ferrero Rocher. All for less than £7!

Their philosophy is ‘community, ethics, health, integrity and love’, through conscious eating,  the staff were friendly and attentive and the place generally just had a great vibe. I’d definitely recommend this place to veggies and omnivores alike and would love to go back and sample some of their hot food. It was probably a good thing I didn’t get the job otherwise I’d end up spending all my money on doorstop sandwiches and cakes! 


Global Tribe Cafe, Swan Street (off The Headrow), Leeds.
Open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am to 6pm.


That Old Chestnut Cakes
Twitter // Facebook // Website




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter

Instagram